The aim of this position statement is to
- reinforce the importance of COVID-19 vaccination, and of remaining up to date in line with the ATAGI recommended vaccination schedule, and of supporting global vaccine equity
- remind that part of ensuring the integrity of and confidence in the vaccination programme is the surveillance and management of uncommon adverse incidents following vaccination that may, or may not be related to vaccines
- encourage further development of guidelines and resources for Australian medical practitioners on the appropriate recognition and management of Adverse Events Following Immunisation (AEFIs) to complement TGA reporting
- encourage further development of a framework to support medical practitioner’s recognition, assessment and development of protocols to manage rare serious acute and chronic adverse reactions following COVID-19 vaccination
- encourage the reporting of adverse events that follow, but may not be related to vaccination to the Therapeutic Goods Association (TGA).
This position statement has been written with the best available evidence and was last updated on 7 July 2022. OzSAGE expert members collaborate to develop position statements (PS) on a variety of scientific matters in the public interest. OzSAGE provides position statements in good faith for general information. No individual or other entity may place reliance on this general position statement, which does not take into account personal or local circumstances. OzSAGE accepts no liability in publishing information position statements or for outcomes associated with the implementation of the general advice contained herein. OzSAGE strongly recommends continuous quality assurance activities and ongoing adaptation to the circumstances.